You are hereForos / Genealogy Research / Tracing Aztec Lineage

Tracing Aztec Lineage

warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/lafamilia/nuestrosranchos.com/sites/all/modules/mailhandler/mailhandler.module on line 123.

By LasFlores - Posted on 13 April 2016

A lady in one of my other genealogy groups asked if there is a way to trace one's family back to the Aztecs. Any and all information will be appreciated.
Thanks, Gloria

A study published by Andrés Moreno-Estrada et al. in 2014 used the dataset from the Bustamate lab that was used for the tests of the DNA of Sandra Cisneros and for Jessica Alba. The study was talked about on this site shortly after it was published. You can read the study if you get a free account to Science Mag. You will have the option for free registration when you try to open the link at http://science.sciencemag.org/content/344/6189/1280.full

Once you do you can get all of the details of the DNA results of Native Mexicans and Cosmpolitan Mexicans from all over Mexico including two of the three states this site is dedicated to which are Jalisco and Zacatecas.

Even without free registration you can see the following ADMIXTURE results for different Native Mexican tribes such as Huichol, Purepecha, Nahua Jalisco and other Nahuas, and different Mayan tribes. As pointed out by RJQ the Aztecs were a Nahua tribe. If you notice almost all tribes have the purple which is a group of autosomal SNPs shared by all of them that have the purple. The Huichol have almost all of the very light blue and Mayans have a lot of the orange. The Nahua Jalisco have a mix of the purple, the Huichol light blue, and the orange Mayan. If you also look at the cosmopolitan samples from Zacatecas and Jalisco you will see they also have a mix of purple, light blue, and orange.

In summary we all have a mix of autosomal DNA that the Huichol, Nahua, and Mayan also have because many the SNPs are from many thousands of years ago from when they first populated Mexico around 14,000 years ago and some are from being mixed since several tribes such as the Tlaxcalans and Otomí assisted in the conquest of Mexico.

As far as mtDNA A that Linda mentioned it is all over Mexico and with a Full Sequence mtDNA test, which is the best kind of mtDNA test, she would show to be a subclade of A2. In a 2012 study of Native Mexicans A2 was 55% of Huichol, 57% of Nahua, 49% of Otomí Sierra, and 79% of Maya. That study is at http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0044666 The graph has the mtDNA haplogroups mislabeled but the text of the study and the table have the correct names of A2, B2, C1, and D1.

..
just fascinating!
Thank you for the follow up information.

Linda Castanon-Long

I just realized I hadn't included a link to the image of the ADMIXTURE results of Native and Cosmopolitan Mexicans that shows the autosomal SNPs in different colors and shows that people from Zacatecas and Jalisco have a mix of Huichol, Nahua, and Mayan autosomal DNA. It's at https://d2ufo47lrtsv5s.cloudfront.net/content/sci/344/6189/1280/F2.large.jpg

I had a question about the science site with the Mayan, Huichol and Nahua
mixtures but my question is not very clear. I know that some of my
ancestors were from the Caxcan tribe headed by the Mendoza's and I don't
know what happened to the Caxcan people, maybe they disappeared or maybe
they just mixed with the Spanish people like Chief Blas de Mendoza. but
does anyone know how that DNA is researched? are they part of the Mayan,
Huichol or NAhuas or have they just disappeared? so as an example say that
all my indigenous ancestors were Caxcan people from Teocaltiche and since
I don't see the Caxcan tribe listed as one of the tribes of the Native
Mexicans on the admixture picture, would my Caxcan DNA be reclassified
under another tribe or would it be redistributed among several different
tribes or just not be listed

Danny C. Alonso

Danny,

Check out the following posts my prima Alicia made on Nuestros Ranchos a
few years back. I've attached them here because the Tachiquin last name is
most likely a Caxcan last name that still survives today. As far as I know
there are still some Tachiquin families in el barrio de San Sebastian in
Nochistlan, not far from Teocaltiche. I'm not sure how much of European and
other DNAs have been mixed into this family over the years. My DNA has
Caxcan DNA as most if not all of the people with ancestry in this part of
Mexico does. The Caxcanes have been mixed in with European, African, Middle
Eastern, Asian DNA's present in this part of Mexico. This is the mestisaje
that makes us Mexican. I'm not aware of any pure Caxcan people living
today, but the Tachiquin elders are probably the closest we can get to pure
Caxcan DNA. Years ago Family Tree DNA listed my indigenous DNA as Mayan,
but today it's just listed as Native American most likely because they know
there are distinct and different indigenous DNA throughout Mexico. Mayans
are quite a bit farther south in Mexico so I'm pretty sure Caxcanes are not
Mayan. Based on some quick research, there are some sites stating the
Caxcan are part of the Uto-Aztecan family as are the aztecas, huicholes,
zacatecos, nahuas and matlatzincas. Since DNA research in Mexico is in its
infancy so to speak, more refined markers identifying Caxcan DNA are not
available as far as I know. Maybe that will change with the work of Dr.
Carlos Bustamante at Stanford University.

Saludos,

Juan Aguayo

See past post below:

Lisa,

As you may know, surnames were not used by the native American people.
Having
said that, the surname of Tachiquin is indigenous to the area of Nochistlan
and
is the only known indian surname that survived and was not converted to
spanish
or the castillian language.

Aside from this, I don't know anything else about this surname other than
it was
and is an original indian surname. Would your grandfather by chance be from
Tenayuca or Toyahua in the municipality of Nochistlan?

Alicia,
San Jose, Calif

________________________________
From: "lisacruz_1967@hotmail.com"
To: research@lists.nuestrosranchos.com
Sent: Mon, March 14, 2011 5:56:49 PM
Subject: [Nuestros Ranchos] Help with a Surname

Can any one tell me about the Name Tachiquin. My Great Grandfather's name is
Pedro Tachiquin, we do not know anything about him except that he was
indio, and
from Nochistlan. I would like to know about the people in that area if any
one
can help me I sure would appreciate it. Many thanks.

- Login

or register

to post comments

Tachiquin Surname's origins

Submitted by oldcar53 on Wed, 2011-03-23 03:00.

Lisa,

Good news, I knew that I'd read something somewhere about the surname
Tachiquin
and today I had time to look into it and found the following.

In the book Nochistlan de Zacatecas by Evelia Clotilde Quirarte there's a
section that tells of a few indian surnames.

The surname Tachiquin corresponds to families that originated in the Barrio
of
San Sebastian of Nochistlan. The Tachiquin surname is believed to have
originally been tlachiunqui that was then converted to tlachinqui. The
letter t
before the letter L is characteristic of the language of the cazcan nation
indigenous to the area of Nochistlan and the surrounding areas. She states
that
the etimology of the word tlachiuanite means to cast a spell. (espanol),(
hechizar, aojar, el encantador, el que hechiza)

She believed that the original Tachiquin may have been an important healer
or
medicine man or man of influence in the Caxcan community.

In 1913, a person with the name of Tachiquin was honored for giving his
life for
defending Nochistlan.

I hope this helps.

Alicia,
San Jose, Ca.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 12:37 AM, Danny Alonso wrote:

> I had a question about the science site with the Mayan, Huichol and Nahua
> mixtures but my question is not very clear. I know that some of my
> ancestors were from the Caxcan tribe headed by the Mendoza's and I don't
> know what happened to the Caxcan people, maybe they disappeared or maybe
> they just mixed with the Spanish people like Chief Blas de Mendoza. but
> does anyone know how that DNA is researched? are they part of the Mayan,
> Huichol or NAhuas or have they just disappeared? so as an example say that
> all my indigenous ancestors were Caxcan people from Teocaltiche and since
> I don't see the Caxcan tribe listed as one of the tribes of the Native
> Mexicans on the admixture picture, would my Caxcan DNA be reclassified
> under another tribe or would it be redistributed among several different
> tribes or just not be listed
>
> Danny C. Alonso

Dear RJQ,
I will pass on the information to the lady who asked the question.
Thank you very much for replying.
Gloria

To all who replied, thank you!
Gloria

The above comments on Caxcan surnames was interesting. I was wondering if other NA groups have surnames in Mexico.

I know that there are Yucatec Maya surnames, and they're fairly common. They tend to be regular words, sometimes rather "funny" to our minds. My ex-husband was yucateco, and his maternal surname was Uc, which mean piojo. His mother is Uc Cab (honey). Chan is a common name, not sure of the meaning, as is Balam, which I believe is jaguar. Pech means agarrapatas. I've seen Dzul as well.

Anyway, just an interesting topic.

Laura Gonzalez

Juan,

Thank you for this information. It's very informative. I was not aware of
any of it before.

Danny C, Alonso

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Juan Aguayo
wrote:

> Danny,
>
> Check out the following posts my prima Alicia made on Nuestros Ranchos a
> few years back. I've attached them here because the Tachiquin last name is
> most likely a Caxcan last name that still survives today. As far as I know
> there are still some Tachiquin families in el barrio de San Sebastian in
> Nochistlan, not far from Teocaltiche. I'm not sure how much of European and
> other DNAs have been mixed into this family over the years. My DNA has
> Caxcan DNA as most if not all of the people with ancestry in this part of
> Mexico does. The Caxcanes have been mixed in with European, African, Middle
> Eastern, Asian DNA's present in this part of Mexico. This is the mestisaje
> that makes us Mexican. I'm not aware of any pure Caxcan people living
> today, but the Tachiquin elders are probably the closest we can get to pure
> Caxcan DNA. Years ago Family Tree DNA listed my indigenous DNA as Mayan,
> but today it's just listed as Native American most likely because they know
> there are distinct and different indigenous DNA throughout Mexico. Mayans
> are quite a bit farther south in Mexico so I'm pretty sure Caxcanes are not
> Mayan. Based on some quick research, there are some sites stating the
> Caxcan are part of the Uto-Aztecan family as are the aztecas, huicholes,
> zacatecos, nahuas and matlatzincas. Since DNA research in Mexico is in its
> infancy so to speak, more refined markers identifying Caxcan DNA are not
> available as far as I know. Maybe that will change with the work of Dr.
> Carlos Bustamante at Stanford University.
>
>
> Saludos,
>
> Juan Aguayo
>
> See past post below:
>
> Lisa,
>
> As you may know, surnames were not used by the native American people.
> Having
> said that, the surname of Tachiquin is indigenous to the area of Nochistlan
> and
> is the only known indian surname that survived and was not converted to
> spanish
> or the castillian language.
>
> Aside from this, I don't know anything else about this surname other than
> it was
> and is an original indian surname. Would your grandfather by chance be from
> Tenayuca or Toyahua in the municipality of Nochistlan?
>
> Alicia,
> San Jose, Calif
>
> ________________________________
> From: "lisacruz_1967@hotmail.com"
> To: research@lists.nuestrosranchos.com
> Sent: Mon, March 14, 2011 5:56:49 PM
> Subject: [Nuestros Ranchos] Help with a Surname
>
> Can any one tell me about the Name Tachiquin. My Great Grandfather's name
> is
> Pedro Tachiquin, we do not know anything about him except that he was
> indio, and
> from Nochistlan. I would like to know about the people in that area if any
> one
> can help me I sure would appreciate it. Many thanks.
>
> - Login
> <
> http://www.nuestrosranchos.com/en/user/login?destination=comment%2Freply%2F19339%23comment-form
> >
> or register
> <
> http://www.nuestrosranchos.com/en/user/register?destination=comment%2Freply%2F19339%23comment-form
> >
> to post comments
>
> Tachiquin Surname's origins
>
> Submitted by oldcar53 on Wed, 2011-03-23 03:00.
>
> Lisa,
>
> Good news, I knew that I'd read something somewhere about the surname
> Tachiquin
> and today I had time to look into it and found the following.
>
> In the book Nochistlan de Zacatecas by Evelia Clotilde Quirarte there's a
> section that tells of a few indian surnames.
>
> The surname Tachiquin corresponds to families that originated in the Barrio
> of
> San Sebastian of Nochistlan. The Tachiquin surname is believed to have
> originally been tlachiunqui that was then converted to tlachinqui. The
> letter t
> before the letter L is characteristic of the language of the cazcan nation
> indigenous to the area of Nochistlan and the surrounding areas. She states
> that
> the etimology of the word tlachiuanite means to cast a spell. (espanol),(
> hechizar, aojar, el encantador, el que hechiza)
>
> She believed that the original Tachiquin may have been an important healer
> or
> medicine man or man of influence in the Caxcan community.
>
> In 1913, a person with the name of Tachiquin was honored for giving his
> life for
> defending Nochistlan.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Alicia,
> San Jose, Ca.
>
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 12:37 AM, Danny Alonso
> wrote:
>
> > I had a question about the science site with the Mayan, Huichol and Nahua
> > mixtures but my question is not very clear. I know that some of my
> > ancestors were from the Caxcan tribe headed by the Mendoza's and I don't
> > know what happened to the Caxcan people, maybe they disappeared or maybe
> > they just mixed with the Spanish people like Chief Blas de Mendoza. but
> > does anyone know how that DNA is researched? are they part of the Mayan,
> > Huichol or NAhuas or have they just disappeared? so as an example say
> that
> > all my indigenous ancestors were Caxcan people from Teocaltiche and since
> > I don't see the Caxcan tribe listed as one of the tribes of the Native
> > Mexicans on the admixture picture, would my Caxcan DNA be reclassified
> > under another tribe or would it be redistributed among several different
> > tribes or just not be listed
> >
> > Danny C. Alonso
> > -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
> > Nuestros Ranchos Research Mailing List
> >
> > To post, send email to:
> > research(at)NuestrosRanchos.com
> >
> > To change your subscription, log on to:
> > http://www.NuestrosRanchos.com

I am 30 to 40% native american. The best web page that has dna analysis is
gedmatch. Using oracle 4.

You need to get dna test in one of the mayor companies 23 and me,
familytreedna , ancesntry or National geo. The best was 23 and me but it
has change. Fanily tree dna is the best in market i think.

Then you can up load data to

dna.land

https://www.gedmatch.com : this is the best it has oracle 4 and you can
choose what territory to search on.

Jose Luis Zambrano De Santiago "El Euforia".

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Danny Alonso wrote:

> I had a question about the science site with the Mayan, Huichol and Nahua
> mixtures but my question is not very clear. I know that some of my
> ancestors were from the Caxcan tribe headed by the Mendoza's and I don't
> know what happened to the Caxcan people, maybe they disappeared or maybe
> they just mixed with the Spanish people like Chief Blas de Mendoza. but
> does anyone know how that DNA is researched? are they part of the Mayan,
> Huichol or NAhuas or have they just disappeared? so as an example say that
> all my indigenous ancestors were Caxcan people from Teocaltiche and since
> I don't see the Caxcan tribe listed as one of the tribes of the Native
> Mexicans on the admixture picture, would my Caxcan DNA be reclassified
> under another tribe or would it be redistributed among several different
> tribes or just not be listed
>
> Danny C. Alonso

Opciones de visualización de comentarios

Seleccione la forma que prefiera para mostrar los comentarios y haga clic en «Guardar las opciones» para activar los cambios.

Navigation

En línea

En este momento hay 0 usuarios y 0 invitados en línea.

Languages