You are hereForums / Announcements and Events / Announce Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

Announce Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/lafamilia/nuestrosranchos.com/sites/all/modules/mailhandler/mailhandler.module on line 123.

By Visitor - Posted on 09 July 2012

HI,,,dumb question...i dont know much about my father,,,actually nothing,,,and apparently i descend from the guerrero family not so much the esquivel...anyhow,,the question is..which dna test should i get to insure the most comprehensive results

________________________________
From: "announce-request@lists.nuestrosranchos.com"
To: announce@lists.nuestrosranchos.com
Sent: Monday, July 9, 2012 3:00 PM
Subject: Announce Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

Send Announce mailing list submissions to
    announce@lists.nuestrosranchos.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    http://lists.nuestrosranchos.com/listinfo.cgi/announce-nuestrosranchos.com

or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    announce-request@lists.nuestrosranchos.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
    announce-owner@lists.nuestrosranchos.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Announce digest..."

Nuestros Ranchos Announce Mailing List
ANNOUNCE DIGEST
****************************************

Today's Topics:

  1. Re: Announce Digest, Vol 76, Issue 6 (carlos peredo)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 15:07:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: carlos peredo
To: "announce@lists.nuestrosranchos.com"
   
Subject: Re: [Nuestros Ranchos] Announce Digest, Vol 76, Issue 6
Message-ID:
    <1341785248.99112.YahooMailNeo@web125806.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Emilie,
?
I see that you mention some Llanos Valdes in your ancestors, I?m interested in that family because I?ve been tracing the roots of? some very good friends from Morelia,? Mex who are descended from Juan Jos? Llanos Valdes y Agustina Carlos de Godoy , more exactly, from a daughter of this couple, but I haven?t found yet the name of her; I?ve seen that they had a daughter Felipa but don?t know the name of her husband, I only know that the last name of Felipa?s husband (or her sister?s husband) was Erazo and that they had at least one child : Don Rafael de Erazo y Llanos Vald?s who was the father of don Clemente de Llanos Vald?s who came to in?Morelia with his great-uncle : Jacinto de Llanos Vald?s, and here Clemente?became a Supreme Court Judge and originated the above mentioned family.
Don Jacinto de Llanos Valdes was the brother of the?lady who gave birth to Don Rafael de Erazo y Llanos Valdes; my question is : Do you happen to have the ?names of the children of Juan Jos? y Agustina or some information about the Erazos ?
?
Carlos

________________________________
From: "announce-request@lists.nuestrosranchos.com"
To: announce@lists.nuestrosranchos.com
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2012 5:00 PM
Subject: Announce Digest, Vol 76, Issue 6

Send Announce mailing list submissions to
??? announce@lists.nuestrosranchos.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
??? http://lists.nuestrosranchos.com/listinfo.cgi/announce-nuestrosranchos.com

or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
??? announce-request@lists.nuestrosranchos.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
??? announce-owner@lists.nuestrosranchos.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Announce digest..."

Nuestros Ranchos Announce Mailing List
ANNOUNCE DIGEST
****************************************

Today's Topics:

? 1. My MtDNA Results - to Armando (Emilie Garcia)
? 2. Re: My MtDNA Results - to Armando (Armando)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 16:23:33 -0700
From: Emilie Garcia
To:
Subject: [Nuestros Ranchos] My MtDNA Results - to Armando
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

announce@nuestrosranchos.com

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
From: auntyemfaustus@hotmail.com
To: announce@nuestrosranchos.com
Subject: RE: [Nuestros Ranchos] My MtDNA Results
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 16:18:00 -0700

Armando,

Thanks again for explaining about the nucleobases not being the same as the haplogroups.

Now I have a question about Family Finder.? Is that part of FamilyTreeDNA on their website?? Does it cost extra?? I only signed up for the $99.00 kit when it went on sale for half price a few months ago.? I am on a fixed income.? In this economy $100 dollars is a lot of money for something we don't really "need", which is why it is difficult to get people to do it.

I did a Google search for a haplogroup T and I found an explanation on Wilipedia.? Apparently they are from India? and were the first people to develop agriculture.? Maybe that is why I love to pull weeds and work in my garden.? The T I think is part of the list of "mutations" they sent me, along with A and G and C, but now I think I am back to confusing the nucleobases and haplogroups.

My father's surname is Olague, and in the 1980s I went to the Navarre area in Spain where a Spanish friend from Pamplona told me her folks had a "chalet" near a town called Olague.? They thought my husband was the Olague since he is fair, and they didn't realize I was the Olague.? They all had bright blue eyes, and were mostly dairy farmers.? We saw lots of spotted cows walking back to the barns by themselves past modern houses with TV antennas and nice small cars in the driveways.? They were busy preparing for some kind of festival in front of the only public building we saw, kind of like a bar/inn, white plaster with pretty flowers in planters along the balcony, the men dressed in white with red bandanas and berets on their heads.? They were nice, but we didn't get any information; they were just pleased we liked their little town, etc.?

The Olagues came to the New World in the early 1500s and settled in Panuco, Zacatecas.? There were some Olague brothers who were in the Onate party that went to Santa Fe in 1580 or so, but they soon abandoned the colony and went back to "civilization" in Zacatecas.? Someone in Mexico told me that all Olagues in Mexico are the descendants of these people.? However, I have been unable to bridge the gap between the Olagues in the Onate party and the most distant of my father's ancestors of that surname in Zacatecas.

My father told me he was a mestizo, but he also said that his great-grandfather was called "el frances" because he was fair with blue eyes.? My father was born almost blond and his eyes were the color of coffee with lots of cream in it; his grandmother gave my mother a lock of his baby hair; it was very light tan, tied with a little ribbon.? I don't know what happened to that lock of hair, but it would be useless for DNA testing since it had to have been cut and not pulled.? However, in my research of his lines, I found no French at all, only mostly espanoles, very few yndio and one line, the Surianos, had many individuals labeled "mulato".? He did say that his surname was "un nombre basco".? I heard him tell a priest that.?

You know, I do have my father's watch, his wallet, his eyeglasses.? I wonder if anyone could pull DNA from that, but I think FamilyTreeDNA can only use the oral swabs for genealogical testing.

With the help of several members of Nuestros Ranchos, I was able to trace my Olagues back to a Pedro Olague who was a? captain or something in some town in Zacatecas in the late 1600s, but not in Jerez where my father was born in 1903. Pedro's wife was a Maria Haro I think.? Mostly my father's people lived near Jerez in a place called Tepetongo and Salitrillo.? Also, in researching my father's Llanos y Valdez I found they linked to a line of Olague Etulain. Maybe Pedro was related to them.?

I have tried to find male Olagues on the lists of those who have tested with various DNA labs and can find no one with that name.? I have been told that there are some Olagues in Jerez who breed bulls for the bullfights, but I would have to go and knock on their doors, and maybe even then I couldn't get any information since my father and his father and uncles left Mexico in 1913 when my father was only 10 years old.? Further, the people from Jerez don't seem interested in genealogy, don't understand why we would want to search ancient records and cemeteries and have our DNA tested.? They are more interested in raising cattle and in charriadas or whatever, and of course they only speak Spanish, which I have difficulty with.? They don't emigrate over here; they seem to do OK where they are.

Thanks again for the information,

Emilie

Port Orchard, WA

??? ??? ??? ? ??? ??? ?

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 23:54:58 -0500
From: Armando
To: announce@nuestrosranchos.com
Subject: Re: [Nuestros Ranchos] My MtDNA Results - to Armando
Message-ID:
???
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Emilie,

Family Finder is $289. It sounds like that isn't what you wanted to hear.

You are confusing three different things mutations, nucleobases, and
haplogroups. The nucleobase T has nothing to do with the haplogroup T. A
mutation can be caused by placement of a nucleobase but the mutation won't
just be called T.

If an Olague never wants to test then you will never be able to tell what
their subgroup is. They are almost definitely R1b haplogroup since northern
Spain mostly belongs to that group.

My great uncles were bullfighters and my grandfather was a co-founder of
organized charrer?a in his hometown. My uncle invented the 6x20 rectangle
used in all charreadas for the cala de caballo. One uncle has been national
champion multiple times and another 2nd place in charro completo in
nationals.

Saludos,
Armando

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Emilie Garcia wrote:

>
>
> Armando,
>
>
>
> Thanks again for explaining about the nucleobases not being the same as
> the haplogroups.
>
>
>
> Now I have a question about Family Finder.? Is that part of FamilyTreeDNA
> on their website?? Does it cost extra?? I only signed up for the $99.00 kit
> when it went on sale for half price a few months ago.? I am on a fixed
> income.? In this economy $100 dollars is a lot of money for something we
> don't really "need", which is why it is difficult to get people to do it.
>
>
>
> I did a Google search for a haplogroup T and I found an explanation on
> Wilipedia.? Apparently they are from India? and were the first people to
> develop agriculture.? Maybe that is why I love to pull weeds and work in my
> garden.? The T I think is part of the list of "mutations" they sent me,
> along with A and G and C, but now I think I am back to confusing the
> nucleobases and haplogroups.
>
>
>
> My father's surname is Olague, and in the 1980s I went to the Navarre area
> in Spain where a Spanish friend from Pamplona told me her folks had a
> "chalet" near a town called Olague.? They thought my husband was the Olague
> since he is fair, and they didn't realize I was the Olague.? They all had
> bright blue eyes, and were mostly dairy farmers.? We saw lots of spotted
> cows walking back to the barns by themselves past modern houses with TV
> antennas and nice small cars in the driveways.? They were busy preparing
> for some kind of festival in front of the only public building we saw, kind
> of like a bar/inn, white plaster with pretty flowers in planters along the
> balcony, the men dressed in white with red bandanas and berets on their
> heads.? They were nice, but we didn't get any information; they were just
> pleased we liked their little town, etc.
>
>
>
> The Olagues came to the New World in the early 1500s and settled in
> Panuco, Zacatecas.? There were some Olague brothers who were in the Onate
> party that went to Santa Fe in 1580 or so, but they soon abandoned the
> colony and went back to "civilization" in Zacatecas.? Someone in Mexico
> told me that all Olagues in Mexico are the descendants of these people.
>? However, I have been unable to bridge the gap between the Olagues in the
> Onate party and the most distant of my father's ancestors of that surname
> in Zacatecas.
>
>
>
> My father told me he was a mestizo, but he also said that his
> great-grandfather was called "el frances" because he was fair with blue
> eyes.? My father was born almost blond and his eyes were the color of
> coffee with lots of cream in it; his grandmother gave my mother a lock of
> his baby hair; it was very light tan, tied with a little ribbon.? I don't
> know what happened to that lock of hair, but it would be useless for DNA
> testing since it had to have been cut and not pulled.? However, in my
> research of his lines, I found no French at all, only mostly espanoles,
> very few yndio and one line, the Surianos, had many individuals labeled
> "mulato".? He did say that his surname was "un nombre basco".? I heard him
> tell a priest that.
>
>
>
> You know, I do have my father's watch, his wallet, his eyeglasses.? I
> wonder if anyone could pull DNA from that, but I think FamilyTreeDNA can
> only use the oral swabs for genealogical testing.
>
>
>
> With the help of several members of Nuestros Ranchos, I was able to trace
> my Olagues back to a Pedro Olague who was a? captain or something in some
> town in Zacatecas in the late 1600s, but not in Jerez where my father was
> born in 1903. Pedro's wife was a Maria Haro I think.? Mostly my father's
> people lived near Jerez in a place called Tepetongo and Salitrillo.? Also,
> in researching my father's Llanos y Valdez I found they linked to a line of
> Olague Etulain. Maybe Pedro was related to them.
>
>
>
> I have tried to find male Olagues on the lists of those who have tested
> with various DNA labs and can find no one with that name.? I have been told
> that there are some Olagues in Jerez who breed bulls for the bullfights,
> but I would have to go and knock on their doors, and maybe even then I
> couldn't get any information since my father and his father and uncles left
> Mexico in 1913 when my father was only 10 years old.? Further, the people
> from Jerez don't seem interested in genealogy, don't understand why we
> would want to search ancient records and cemeteries and have our DNA
> tested.? They are more interested in raising cattle and in charriadas or
> whatever, and of course they only speak Spanish, which I have difficulty
> with.? They don't emigrate over here; they seem to do OK where they are.
>
>
>
> Thanks again for the information,
>
>
>
> Emilie
>
> Port Orchard, WA
>
>
>
>
>
>

Ancestry is offering a $99.00 DNA test. Does any one have any thoughts on their new test?

Ancestry purchased a company called Genetree that did testing through
Sorensen labs. Familytreedna has the largest database and has more members
and more projects. It is the best place to get tested at the moment. FTDNA
has a special from now through July 15th.

http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2012/07/ftdnas-sizzling-summer-sale-through.html

Armando

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM, wrote:

> Ancestry is offering a $99.00 DNA test. Does any one have any thoughts on
> their new test?

I have used familytreedna for my Father and a maternal uncle.
Father: ydna Halogroup: I2b1 I-M223 and mtdna Halogroup A, waiting on results from snp test.
Uncle: ydna Halogroup: R1b1a2 R-M269
Familytreedna included all DNA markings/codes, halogroups, certificate, ancestral maps, and allows you to add additional tests, and makes it easy to join groups that your DNA applies to.

Ancestry.com had a promotion when they were going to launch DNA testing for current subscribers to test for $9.99 for a limited amount of participants so I had my son due this test. I was disappointed, even if I am very limited on my knowledge of DNA, they do not provide DNA markings/codes, halogroups, certificate only a pie chart & map and possible relations that subscribe to Ancestry.com only, I would recommend familytreedna. My son is now testing with familytreedna. Hope this helps.

Will you be doing a Deep Clade on your uncle for Haplogroup R1b1a2 R-M269?
He will probably be able to be placed farther down in the R1b tree. You can
see what it looks like here
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.shtml#R1b-subclades

Saludos,
Armando

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:06 AM, wrote:

> I have used familytreedna for my Father and a maternal uncle.
> Father: ydna Halogroup: I2b1 I-M223 and mtdna Halogroup A, waiting on
> results from snp test. Uncle: ydna Halogroup: R1b1a2 R-M269
> Familytreedna included all DNA markings/codes, halogroups, certificate,
> ancestral maps, and allows you to add additional tests, and makes it easy
> to join groups that your DNA applies to.
> Ancestry.com had a promotion when they were going to launch DNA testing
> for current subscribers to test for $9.99 for a limited amount of
> participants so I had my son due this test. I was disappointed, even if I
> am very limited on my knowledge of DNA, they do not provide DNA
> markings/codes, halogroups, certificate only a pie chart & map and possible
> relations that subscribe to Ancestry.com only, I would recommend
> familytreedna. My son is now testing with familytreedna. Hope this helps.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Navigation

Who's online

There are currently 0 users and 4 guests online.

Languages